Home » Other » General » The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database
The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #665753] Wed, 20 September 2017 00:30 Go to next message
Frank Naude
Have you guys seen Larry Ellison's "Cloud Announcement" yesterday?

Apparently, the DB will configure, patch, upgrade and tune itself. The DB does not forget to load the latest security patches, run backups, DR itself into a different data centre, etc.

Not sure if this is a new version of Oracle 12cR2, or maybe just part of their PaaS offering, but it will (according to the slides) be available in December.

Regards.
Frank
Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #665824 is a reply to message #665753] Sat, 23 September 2017 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
"To achieve that level of reliability, Oracle has to automatically tune, patch and upgrade itself while the system is running. AWS can't do any of this stuff."

More on the subject at
http://www.zdnet.com/article/oracle-preps-autonomous-database-at-openworld-aims-to-cut-labor-admin-time/
Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #665917 is a reply to message #665824] Mon, 02 October 2017 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Looks like we're jumping form Oracle 12c to 18c! This will be the 2018 release.

/forum/fa/13656/0/
Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #665943 is a reply to message #665917] Wed, 04 October 2017 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm going to attend HrOUG conference in 2 weeks, probably they'll say something about it.
Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #666100 is a reply to message #665753] Sat, 14 October 2017 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
Will all DBA's be fired? I guess no Razz

Is there any technical review from independent bloggers?

Quote:
"Most people know already that this sounds like Larry being Larry," the representative said. "No facts, wild claims, and lots of bluster."
https://archive.fo/IX3GV

Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #666226 is a reply to message #666100] Sat, 21 October 2017 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've just returned from HrOUG; didn't hear anything about 18c. Though, note that I couldn't attend all lectures as there were 4 of them taking place at the same time and I attended developer-related ones.

However, one of the (foreign) speakers invited the audience to next year's ODTUG in Orlando, Florida, USA. He said that this year people spoke about Apex in 3 parallel sessions. A few Oracle Forms related ones. None about Oracle ADF.

Just to point where Oracle developers are heading to nowadays.
Re: The Autonomous "Self-Driving" Database [message #666293 is a reply to message #666226] Wed, 25 October 2017 20:47 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
I really do not like the term "Apparently, the DB will configure, patch, upgrade and tune itself. The DB does not forget to load the latest security patches, run backups, DR itself into a different data centre, etc." from Oracle.
I love Oracle, do job with DBA many years, however, have not known many thing in just only "Database" environment still now. And now, Oracle destroyed Sparc - a trademark I like, brought Database into cloud and make it comes to AI, nearly (as far as I understand). I wish DB2 from IBM stay here, does not walk through heaven, same to Oracle as soon as possible Very Happy
Previous Topic: Issue with sending Swedish characters to table via SQLPLUS
Next Topic: Is there a free unzip utility available from Oracle or elsewhere?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:24:29 CDT 2024